Monday, August 30, 2010

Why are you thinking about recess/lunch/the bathroom? I'M TEACHING!!!

Isn't it lovely when you are in the middle of a lesson that you spent a long time planning and making perfect just to have a child (who you called on to answer a question or add thoughtfully to the discussion) ask when it's going to be recess, or what's for lunch today, or can I go to the bathroom now?  I always feel like pulling my hair out because: the schedule is posted at the front of the room; the menu is printed in the newsletter, read over the announcements, and announced on the way out the door for lunch; and we go to the bathroom right after both recesses, during center time, and other independent work time.  And one off task question always snowballs into every child thinking about that question. 

Well it isn't lovely. But, how many times do we do the same thing when God is trying to teach us?  This really hits home when you read Matthew 16: 5-12.  Basically, Jesus is trying to warn the disciples about the false teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees. In this speech Jesus refers to the false teaching as "yeast", which translates to the disciples as a carefully chosen word to hint at the fact that they forgot to bring the bread.  Only this was not the case at all.  Jesus was legitimately teaching with a solid warning, but once one disciple thought about lunch and murmured to the others a statement along the lines of "Shoot, we forgot bread and it's almost lunch time and Jesus is ticked about it." it spread like wildfire.  Soon no one was hearing about the false teaching until Jesus reminded them that he was more than capable of supplying lunch.  "Hello guys! Remember me?! The man who feeds thousands from a few loaves and fish!  Really? You are worried we are going to miss a meal?" 

So maybe Jesus isn't as sarcastic with his disciples as I sometimes am with my students, but I know we were both feeling exactly the same.  The only difference is that I probably am the cause of that feeling for Jesus and yet I want to pull my hair out when my students behave the same way.  It's time for me to suck it up, brush it off, and get back to the teaching.  Redirect and teach!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment