Monday, August 9, 2010

Starting With a Positive Attitude

Near the end of the last school year I felt that I was becoming a bit negative with my school environment.  One of the reasons is that a lot of teachers I was surrounded by were constantly complaining about our administrators, to the point that a majority were looking for employment elsewhere.  Constantly hearing this negativity starts to effect your own thoughts about an individual regardless of your own experiences.  Another thing that was causing me to feel negative is that I was asked to move up to the third grade.  I have made it well known to my administrators (and everyone else) that preschool is where my heart is and that I won't truly be happy until that is the age I am teaching, but turns out personal happiness does not trump state testing.  I should have taken the move as a vote of confidence from them but all I could really think of was moving farther away from what I wanted.

But today, during my morning bible time, I came across the verses about servants and masters and realized that I was not behaving correctly in this situation at all.
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. (Ephesians 6:5)
Wow.  My negativity and thoughts broke every one of these guidelines for my relationship with my administrators.  I had stopped respecting them simply because they did not cave to my personal desires.  I still had a bit of fear because they do control a lot of what I do but I never portrayed this fear around others which probably hardened my heart a bit. I was absolutely not being sincere of heart, but rather I was following direct commands so as to not get in trouble, not to obey in a Christ-like way.  I gained a lot from this one verse about personal flaws that if I addressed could help me become an even better teacher, and I hope that throughout this new school year I will apply this lesson to every day thoughts and conversations. 

I also feel that it is important to apply the rest of this section to the relationship as well and encourage everyone to read the rest of the verses during their own time of reflection.  I hope that Ephesians 6:5-9 can help you in dealing with your administrator strife and very possibly your role as master over your classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment