Sunday, August 22, 2010

First Days Exhaustion

Well I successfully survived the first 2 days of school.  Boy, is my body glad it was a short week!  I succeeded in falling asleep on the couch before 9:00 on both Thursday and Friday with Friday leading to a whopping 14 hours of sleep!  I enjoyed getting to know my new students.  I was so impressed by their ability to work quietly within minutes of walking into my classroom.  But I learned that as they slowly became more comfortable with me, they also became more talkative.  There are 3 students I am particularly worried about when it comes to controlling their mouth, but I have set my expectations, consequences, and rewards in place.  Hopefully they will catch on quick.  I know my second graders last year began similar to this, but it is so hard to remember that time after ending the year on such a positive note. 

I actually referred to a sermon I had listened to that morning before school during our discussion on talking out.  Without stating it was a sermon (or a religious topic, at all because of separation of church and state issues) I told my students that I listen to a lady named Joyce Meyer in the mornings while I get ready.  I stated that on this particular day she said something very smart:  On our head we have 7 holes.  2 eyes, 2 ears, 2 nostrils, and 1 mouth.  And we only have one mouth because who knows what kind of trouble we would be in if we had 2.  My students laughed so I took that to mean that they got my message.  I'm hoping that as we get into our academic groove that they will remember this fact and apply it to their lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment